CNS-1650831: CAREER: Leveraging Wireless Virtualization for Enhancing Network Capacity, Coverage, Energy Efficiency and Security
REU Common Application 2017
To apply for REU program for the following project at Howard University, please Fill out the Form
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS will begin April 26, 2017
and will continue until all positions are filled.
Dr. Danda B Rawat (PI)
Named data networking based security in Wireless Virtualization framework for Enhancing Network Capacity, Coverage, Energy Efficiency and Security. This is part of PI's CAREER project funded by the NSF under Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program.
This CAREER project focuses on the design, analysis and evaluation of a Wireless Virtualization (Wi-Vi) framework by combining different wireless resources and infrastructures, beyond spectrum sharing with licensed users, to be used as on-demand service over the network, with the goal of enhancing network capacity, coverage, energy efficiency and security. The PI will develop Wi-Vi architecture using systematic approaches to improve overall network performance.
This research experience for undergraduates (REU) permits students to engage with the myriad of applications that are related to cognitive radio networks. The intellectual focus of the program includes the following research topics:
- Wireless Virtualization (Wi-Vi) framework;
- Wireless communication and networking;
- Named data networking and security in Wi-Vi framework;
- Dynamic spectrum access and cognitive radio;
- Wireless network security attacks and countermeasures; and
- Cloud-assisted dynamic spectrum access and software-defined wireless network security.
Students need not have existing expertise in these areas, a background sufficient for standing as engineering or computer science/mathematics junior or senior will be sufficient.
Important Information (This amount could vary a little bit)
- Student will receive stipend of ~$6,000.00 for 10 weeks, $600.00 travel allowance and $1,400.00 for food/ lodging support for the period. (Total ~$8,000.00 for 10 weeks)
- Hosted by the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department of the Howard University.
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Rising junior or senior in engineering, computer science, or mathematics
- Have software or hardware skills